[Games] "Hey NinTemple! Whatcha Playing?"

JK Riki

Re: [Games] "Hey NinTemple! Whatcha Playing?"

Post by JK Riki » Tue May 16, 2017 2:35 pm

@Ninsage Kamiko always did look pretty to me, sorry to hear that's the end of the "pros" list for the game... Ah well, not like I'm lacking things to play!

In terms of my own play-time, I've found a mobile game called Digfender that was just "okay" when I started, but after a few levels it really grew on me and now I'm enjoying it a great deal. So if you're looking for a fun little free tower defense game, it comes recommended.

It's funny, the more I'm getting into game development the more I see similar things to Digfender: A game studio releases a game, then releases a second version under a new name but it's essentially the same game but better, then the game studio stops trying, ha ha. Weird!

NinSage
Site Admin

Post by NinSage » Tue May 16, 2017 5:09 pm

JK Riki wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 2:35 pm
It's funny, the more I'm getting into game development the more I see similar things to Digfender: A game studio releases a game, then releases a second version under a new name but it's essentially the same game but better, then the game studio stops trying, ha ha. Weird!
Interesting. As someone who seems expert on the creative process, what do you think is going on in those cases?

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Tue May 16, 2017 7:40 pm

@NinSage

That's a good question. I can guess (and WILL!) but I imagine each situation is unique in many ways.

One thing about creativity is that the deeper you get into it the more exciting "creativity" becomes and the less exciting "finishing hard work" is, ha ha. You start to enjoy the early going when anything is possible and are annoyed when anything is no longer possible because you have to get stuff DONE. So perhaps the reason they stop after the second or third version of the same thing is burnout. After all, you've just done the same project twice. Maybe you added some new creative elements, but it's certainly not pushing you as an artist at that point. Creativity requires practice, and after three versions of the same game you would be out of practice and it would be far harder to get back in the creative mindset. (Which, saying that out loud, I need to keep in mind myself!)

As for why they remake the first attempt, that probably stems from having wanted to do X, Y, and Z in the first game and not having time. Or knowing you can do better, so you try again. After my wife and I did Mr. Fishy's Small World for Ludum Dare, we started on a second version that wasn't filled with bugs and had all the features cut out due to deadlines. So really the second version is probably the thing a developer has in their head from the start but (if they're small or new, at least) they couldn't pull off the first time. It could also be that it's far easier to redo a game than to start fresh, even if starting fresh is far more interesting/exciting. Plus you already have an audience who enjoys that game, and will probably enjoy the second version.

Those are my guesses, anyway. I'd be interested to hear any other thoughts on it, though, because it's certainly an interesting subject (to me, at least!).

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Tue May 16, 2017 7:56 pm

So I picked up Dragon Quest Builders for a decent price, hope to try it out soon, looks to be a fun game that blends aspects from minecraft with RPGs.
Sophia

Rocket

Post by Rocket » Tue May 16, 2017 8:55 pm

Glad you enjoyed Fairune Sage! I loooove those games :D

Though I've only tried the demo of the second one. Must buy the full version soon.

I've mainly been playing Epic Dumpster Bear for Wii U. it's like a cross between New Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Country Returns and bits of Sonic as well. It rules 8-)

chrisbg99

Post by chrisbg99 » Fri May 19, 2017 4:57 am

Through means, possibly witchcraft, I was able to play the legendary Hideo Kojima/Guillermo Del Toro game/teaser P.T. I had watched some play throughs of it since I thought it was out of my reach but they couldn't match how it was to play it personally. I'll tell you this, s*** is scary yo. It builds up a tension and really makes you dread each consecutive loop through this hallway. I actually screamed on two separate occasions that is how tense and scary it was.

If this was what they were going for for Silent Hills, my ire at Konami for causing the death of project is even higher.
Last edited by chrisbg99 on Sat May 20, 2017 5:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
You cannot grasp the true form of this post! Sorry.

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Fri May 19, 2017 11:12 am

So I got Dragon Quest Builders for PS4 (also is available on Vita and PS3) for pretty cheap, kind of an under the radar type game. Have to say it is worth every single penny the game is so addicting, it is clearly heavily inspired by Minecraft in how resources are gathered and how you build (not to mention the land is made of squares). But it does its own thing as well, it integrates action RPG elements into it and has set goals or quests to accomplish to build up your castle. Fighting system is pretty basic, your typical slash things until they die and later on you get a spin slash like Link does in Zelda.

Still it is super fun and I am always excited to accomplish the next task along with customizing my castle, building new rooms, and trying to build up its defenses. Really recommend it if you like minecraft but want something with a bit more direction to it while still allowing plenty of creative freedom.
Sophia

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Fri May 19, 2017 7:33 pm

Now counting down the days until the Arms Testpunch Event! Can't wait to give it a go.

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Sun May 21, 2017 2:03 am

Yeah i'll give that a go. However now I've started Forma.8 on Wii U. It's half off now!

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Sun May 21, 2017 5:06 pm

I went out and bought a copy of Legend of the River King for the Gameboy Color only to come home and realize you can get it cheaper (and bigger/brighter) on the 3DS VC. So I returned the physical copy and downloaded it. It's a little different than I remember (harder) but still a lot of fun. I love/hate how you don't know what you might catch because all the fish look identical until they take the bait.

One thing is the game doesn't help you. If you don't have an instruction manual to get the basics of what you need to do, you're doomed. It is NOT newbie-friendly. At all.