[Games] "Hey NinTemple! Whatcha Playing?"

GameDadGrant

Re: [Games] "Hey NinTemple! Whatcha Playing?"

Post by GameDadGrant » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:56 pm

Samus Returns is likely going to end up being my favorite Metroid game ever. Finally dethroning Fusion after all these years.

Amazing.

Mop it up

Post by Mop it up » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:42 pm

GameDadGrant wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:05 pm
It was a great feeling of relief and joy having finally solved the "puzzle" while at the same time feeling dumb for not getting it sooner. :P
Just like any good puzzle!

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:01 am

So I got my Xbox One working again and got Cuphead. I am having a BLAST so far, the game is challenging but also rewarding. If you like Run N Gun games like Gunstar Heroes (and to a lesser degree Mega man) you'll enjoy it. Though the game is primarily centered on boss fights, the side scrolling levels are few and far between, which is fine. The boss battles are what makes the game shine, seems most bosses have 3 phases (if not more) and they aren't overly long so you don't feel like it was a grueling long boss battle, instead they are just right in length to master their patterns.

Also the visuals are stunning, the 30s animation style is pretty breathtaking at times. I really wish the game would get ported to Switch and PS4, it would be a shame for people to miss out.
Sophia

NinSage
Site Admin

Post by NinSage » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:12 pm

@GDG

That's pretty awesome. I'm looking forward to putting it on my Christmas list and hopefully Santa will drop it off!! Metroid 2 forever!!

@GP

Yea, I heard Cuphead is punishingly difficult. Good to hear that your experience with the challenge feels fair. The visuals look amazing for sure! I would love to see this open a door for more highly detailed, 2D animation for games. That's my favorite look. ^_^

GameDadGrant

Post by GameDadGrant » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:07 am

Now that I’m done with Samus Returns, I’m playing a horror game for the month of October/Halloween!

Dementium: Remastered is my game of choice. Been a scary but fun ride so far! Anyone play this (or the DS original) before?

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:28 am

NinSage wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:12 pm
@GDG

That's pretty awesome. I'm looking forward to putting it on my Christmas list and hopefully Santa will drop it off!! Metroid 2 forever!!

@GP

Yea, I heard Cuphead is punishingly difficult. Good to hear that your experience with the challenge feels fair. The visuals look amazing for sure! I would love to see this open a door for more highly detailed, 2D animation for games. That's my favorite look. ^_^
It is hard to rank Cuphead's difficulty since it is so unique, unlike old school games like Contra you don't have lives in the traditional sense, so you can replay bosses over and over again without needing to battle through long levels. The run n gun sections are purely optional, they are primarily to get the coins in order to buy stuff at the store to customize the abilities of your character. So while Cuphead is challenging, especially by today's standards it is done in such a way that it is convenient to retry bosses until you get their patterns and evolving forms down. Since the boss battles only last a couple of minutes (if that) it isn't too frustrating, and I think it is brilliant how they don't have health meters yet when you lose it shows how close you were to defeating it which motivates you more, not to mention it avoids "tanking" bosses like one often does in old school 2D games with health bars, instead you have a rough idea of how far you are but aren't quite sure.

One of the abilities can also give you 1 or 2 extra hearts (you normally have 3 hits) but you sacrifice some of your attack power. It is cool how they handle abilities since people can tailor them to their playing style and skills. Are you exceptionally good at parrying pink objects (a parry is when you jump at a pink projectile and hit the jump button again right when you collide with it, which gives you a card, collect 5 of them you can unleash a powerful ability), well you may want to choose to equip abilities that help in some other area like your heart, or being able to dash without risking being hit. Since you only can pick one ability per category you are forced to sacrifice something else (for example, that dash without taking damage would replace your extra heart upgrade).

Anyway, yeah, great game with quite a bit of depth while being pretty challenging. I do really hate the term "Dark Souls of 2D games" though, because I think it is comparing apples to oranges. As stated before it is even hard to compare it to old 2D run n gun games since the focus is completely different in this. I've also seen people that say the game wouldn't be super special without the unique visuals, and I'd say, duh, of course it wouldn't, the visuals combined with solid, well designed gameplay are what make the game great. The game is simply a work of art that fortunately also brings along a fine tuned experience, that while maybe not super unique gameplay wise, is still fine tuned and well designed. The visuals just bring it to another level, not to mention the fact that the "tells" for enemies benefit immensely from the gorgeously animated visual style.
Sophia

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:58 am

Picked up Stardew Valley on Switch, what an addicting game! I've been fortunate to not have played the game yet so everything is new for me. Should be the perfect time killer until Odyssey comes out.
Sophia

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:58 pm

I started a new game called Endless Frontier on my phone, which is just cookie clicker with a different theme.

I... shouldn't be as amused by it as I am...

Thankfully all clicker games wear thin with me after a few days. So in the meantime, I will just enjoy it.

GameDadGrant

Post by GameDadGrant » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:40 pm

Dementium Remastered has been a very fun experience so far. Thrills and chills galore!