Tabletop Board and Card Games Thread

goldenphoenix

Tabletop Board and Card Games Thread

Post by goldenphoenix » Wed May 25, 2016 6:31 pm

Sad to see everything get reset, but we can rebuild.

This Sunday the theme is "Mythological" starting with Kemet, an egyptian themed game. Heard so many great things about it!

Sophia

goldenphoenix

Re: Tabletop Board and Card Games Thread

Post by goldenphoenix » Sun May 29, 2016 5:40 am

So took this quiz, amazed I got 35/50 right. It is a quiz on naming games based on their box covers. There were 4 of them I knew the cover but was blanking on the name (it is timed).

http://www.sporcle.com/games/liouvillef ... by-box-art
Sophia

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Sun May 29, 2016 1:52 pm

That's really impressive Golden. I only faired a mere 9. However there was one or two I knew but couldn't recall the correct wording of the game.

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:08 am

So lately I've been focused on getting smaller games, mainly because I have so many of the larger/complex games that I haven't had a time to play many of them! Recently I've picked up the following:

1. Jurassattack which is a war style card game where you each have a hand of 5 cards and try to have the higher attack total then your opponent. It is a fun and quick playing game

2. The Grizzled, co-op game where you play as soldiers in World War 1, think of the game as Valiant Hearts the card game. The focus of the game is on the bonds made in the trenches rather then the war itself and trying to survive. I also love the artstyle

3. Welcome to the Dungeon. A simple push your luck card game where you are adventurers going through a dungeon and trying to survive

4. Ontima, been waiting for this, think of it as a more streamlined, faster version of chess. As you can see by the picture you have 5 total cards used in the game, two for each player plus a side card, these cards, when played say how you can move a chosen figure, once played it goes to the side of the board and you take the old card. Basically you are trying to make the best move but trying to make sure your opponent doesn't get a card from you that will allow them to take your emperor.

Every game is different since you only use 5 cards from the card pile per game (there are 15 potential cards that can be used)

Sophia

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:00 pm

So got to play Onitama and Welcome to the Dungeon yesterday. Both games are really good and best part is that they are super easy to learn and teach. Welcome to the Dungeon is a game that I will probably keep with me as my "Love letter esque game". The premise is basically playing chicken with the other players, a hero is picked which comes with 6 items (this hero is for all the players), the hero has so many hit points on their card plus any armor in the items. These items will allow you to kill specific monsters in the deck (there are only 13 monster cards).

Basically you start out by drawing/looking at a card from the monster deck and deciding if it goes into the dungeon, or if you'll keep it out of the dungeon, if you keep it out of the dungeon you take the card and put it next to you while also grabbing one of the 6 items and taking it out of the game. If it goes into the dungeon you put it in a separate pile for the dungeon. The next person decided whether they want to draw (with the same two choices after they draw the card if they decide to do so) or pass, if they pass they are out of the round. Basically the last person to not pass has to run the dungeon and survive. If they can't kill a monster with an available item they take wounds equal to the number in the left hand corner of the monster card, then they draw the next monster,

If they survive they get a victory card, if they lose (health is equal to or less then a monster card) they turn over their cheat sheet card which has a red side, if they fail a dungeon again they are out of the game. The winner is whoever is first to 2 victory cards or is the last the surviving player, the game supports 2-4 players, but I have heard it works decently with 5 as well. The coponents are all top notch, the hero cards and hero items are thick cardboard. The game goes for $10-15 as well.

Sophia

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:57 am

Finally got a chance to play Star Wars Rebellion, had a lot of fun. Super thematic with quite a bit of strategy. Took us about 5 hrs to finish our first game (yes it is a long one). The basic premise is that the empire is trying to find the rebel base, and the rebels need to out maneuver the empire long enough to where time runs out (basically there is a rebel token near the top of the time track and the main time track which is moving up), there are ways for the rebels to move theirs down and if they cross paths the game is over and the rebels win.

Sophia

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:57 pm

Interesting, so cracked made an article regarding board games and possible replacements for the more mainstream games.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/awesome-alt ... s-ever_p2/
Sophia

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:06 pm

I find their interpretation of Cards Against Humanity to be quite… bitter. I've played that game with all different kinds of people and they still have a lot of fun with it. It's not just for 'white, straight, males' as others might think.

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:49 pm

If you like Cards Against Humanity try FunEmployed. It is done in a similar way except the cards are talents/qualifications and you are pitching to a person why you should be hired. It can get pretty crazy, played it several times, some of the "qualifications" are pretty, um, interesting lol.

It is only available at Amazon from what I've seen.

https://www.amazon.com/0206-Funemployed ... unEmployed
Sophia

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:42 am

@GP, that looks really interesting! I wish I had known about it for some events on the 4th. But this will be great for the future. I'll certainly consider picking this up. As with all new game purchases, I wanna see some kind of video to show how it plays, but the premise is really cool and I like the idea of a CAH-esque game that is new and unique.

Thank you for the recommendation!