Tabletop Board and Card Games Thread

goldenphoenix

Re: Tabletop Board and Card Games Thread

Post by goldenphoenix » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:23 am

My game buying habits have dropped off a cliff since losing my job, we are just trying to survive this Christmas, we won't even be able to buy gifts for each other much less anyone else. But I did back The 7th Continent 2nd Edition over a month ago (before the financial disaster hit us). I own the 1st edition but they had an option to buy not only the upgraded/tweaked cards but also 250+ new ones for a new curse.

In case you don't know about 7th Continent it is basically a Choose your own adventure in board game form. It has puzzle solving, discovery and is a TON of fun though replayability is limited since the goal is to solve a curse before you die, but even the base game can provide 20+ hours of gameplay all by itself and with the expansion packs you are talking a ton more hours. It is a blast, got to play it finally at a friend's place and we had such a great time. The sense of discovery is thrilling as you reveal new pieces of the map, even the map pieces themselves can have secrets printed on them.

The game revolves around having a set number of "action" cards, and to complete certain tasks or to explore the map you spend cards, for example you may find you need to draw at least one card and need one success to complete a certain mission, so you need to decide if you just draw that one card or draw more than one to up your chances of a success (represented by stars on the action card). Once you do you can choose one of hte cards you drew to keep (they can have different abilities, items etc on them that you can put into your inventory) and then you discard the other. Here is the thing though, once you exhaust your action card pile (there are over 100 action cards) you have to shuffle up the discard pile, if you pull a curse card it is game over. Fortunately the game has an easy mode to where you can spend the idol card and reshuffle your action cards if you fail, but you can only do this once.

If you are interested you will likely have to be purchased directly from them (or in a future kickstarter) because they don't plan on making it widely available for retail. I do highly recommend the game if you want a well designed adventure game, it is quite remarkable how intricately designed the game is.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19 ... -come-down
Sophia

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:57 pm

This was the first year in a while that we went to our local game shop on Small Business Saturday and didn't get anything. I feel like maybe we've reached our ideal-quota of board games for now. Enjoying the ones we have!

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:43 am

JK Riki wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:57 pm
This was the first year in a while that we went to our local game shop on Small Business Saturday and didn't get anything. I feel like maybe we've reached our ideal-quota of board games for now. Enjoying the ones we have!
No issue with that lol. I mean it is not uncommon in the industry for people to get so many board games that they don't even really get a chance to play the ones they own!
Sophia

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:31 pm

@GoldenPhoenix That is definitely the case with us! We have two that we haven't touched yet. (One because we don't know the rules and it is intimidating, the other because I don't even know why, lol.)

It's odd, with video games I have a backlog that is stupid and irresponsible, but with board games I have the willpower to say "No, I need to stop buying new ones." I wonder why? Maybe because they take up more physical space? Hmm...

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:45 pm

JK Riki wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:31 pm
@GoldenPhoenix That is definitely the case with us! We have two that we haven't touched yet. (One because we don't know the rules and it is intimidating, the other because I don't even know why, lol.)

It's odd, with video games I have a backlog that is stupid and irresponsible, but with board games I have the willpower to say "No, I need to stop buying new ones." I wonder why? Maybe because they take up more physical space? Hmm...
What are the two you haven't played? I'd say about 30% of my collection I haven't played lol.
Sophia

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:59 pm

Something or other "Duel" and I'd have to go look at which the other is, because I can't remember at this point, ha ha. It's a card game, so not like a big box taking up space. (Out of sight out of mind, I guess. Like my Steam backlog!)

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:09 am

JK Riki wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:59 pm
Something or other "Duel" and I'd have to go look at which the other is, because I can't remember at this point, ha ha. It's a card game, so not like a big box taking up space. (Out of sight out of mind, I guess. Like my Steam backlog!)
7 Wonders Duel? If that is the game it is a really fun 2 player game.
Sophia

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:47 am

For the Dead of Winter fans there is another game set in that universe called Raxxon where you are the government trying to save people from the spreading zombie infection before, well, Raxxon takes things over. Raxxon being the Dead of Winter's equivalent to Umbrella from the RE series.

It is a fully co-op game and looks like a ton of fun, it appears to have similar mechanics as Pandemic but with its own twist.

https://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Flight-G ... board+game
Sophia

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:41 pm

Here at my future in laws, and they gifted me Formula D. So awesome! I played it twice. First time I played it with just one other person. It was fun and exciting and I had won. Not a lot of issues with getting in each other's way. However the second game I gloriously biffed it on the last turn and lost. It was also exciting and a lot more fun with four people. We had to work out how to pass properly.

Awesome game. I'm liking Formula One as a sport is interesting but this game has me hooked.

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:54 am

BanjosBackpack wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:41 pm
Here at my future in laws, and they gifted me Formula D. So awesome! I played it twice. First time I played it with just one other person. It was fun and exciting and I had won. Not a lot of issues with getting in each other's way. However the second game I gloriously biffed it on the last turn and lost. It was also exciting and a lot more fun with four people. We had to work out how to pass properly.

Awesome game. I'm liking Formula One as a sport is interesting but this game has me hooked.
I've heard really good things about Formula D, never played it though.
Sophia