Tabletop Board and Card Games Thread

User avatar
BanjosBackpack
Posts: 748
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 11:10 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Tabletop Board and Card Games Thread

Post by BanjosBackpack » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:26 am

It's really simple to get into. However it stays exciting and accessible because of it.

My future father in law brought out his new game... Act of War. It's like a Feudal Japan-themed Yahtzee. I like it better than Yahtzee personally. Better with about three or four people though.

User avatar
goldenphoenix
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 6:25 pm

Re: Tabletop Board and Card Games Thread

Post by goldenphoenix » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:05 pm

BanjosBackpack wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:26 am
It's really simple to get into. However it stays exciting and accessible because of it.

My future father in law brought out his new game... Act of War. It's like a Feudal Japan-themed Yahtzee. I like it better than Yahtzee personally. Better with about three or four people though.
Have you ever played King of New York or King of Tokyo? Those are really fun yahtzee style esque games as well. It is really kind of neat what games have done with the formula, while something like Tokyo or New York may be more casual there are also some deep games as well like Discoveries: The Journals of Lewis and Clark or Roll for the Galaxy. I see Age of War (That is what you meant right?) is made by Reiner Knizia, may have to pick it up sometime since it is going for a relatively inexpensive price.
Sophia

User avatar
Rocket
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 12:21 am

Re: Tabletop Board and Card Games Thread

Post by Rocket » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:00 pm

I took a trip down memory lane and played an old Macintosh card game I remember from childhood called 1000 Miles. Here's what it looks like:
Image

I later learned it's adapted from a real world card game called Mille Bornes. Anyone here played it?

User avatar
BanjosBackpack
Posts: 748
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 11:10 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Tabletop Board and Card Games Thread

Post by BanjosBackpack » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:10 pm

goldenphoenix wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:05 pm
BanjosBackpack wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:26 am
It's really simple to get into. However it stays exciting and accessible because of it.

My future father in law brought out his new game... Act of War. It's like a Feudal Japan-themed Yahtzee. I like it better than Yahtzee personally. Better with about three or four people though.
Have you ever played King of New York or King of Tokyo? Those are really fun yahtzee style esque games as well. It is really kind of neat what games have done with the formula, while something like Tokyo or New York may be more casual there are also some deep games as well like Discoveries: The Journals of Lewis and Clark or Roll for the Galaxy. I see Age of War (That is what you meant right?) is made by Reiner Knizia, may have to pick it up sometime since it is going for a relatively inexpensive price.
That is what I meant, yeah. I have not played King of Tokyo but I've seen it. I didn't know it had that kind of Yahtzee kind of gameplay. I'll look into it further!

User avatar
goldenphoenix
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 6:25 pm

Re: Tabletop Board and Card Games Thread

Post by goldenphoenix » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:47 pm

BanjosBackpack wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:10 pm
goldenphoenix wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:05 pm
BanjosBackpack wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:26 am
It's really simple to get into. However it stays exciting and accessible because of it.

My future father in law brought out his new game... Act of War. It's like a Feudal Japan-themed Yahtzee. I like it better than Yahtzee personally. Better with about three or four people though.
Have you ever played King of New York or King of Tokyo? Those are really fun yahtzee style esque games as well. It is really kind of neat what games have done with the formula, while something like Tokyo or New York may be more casual there are also some deep games as well like Discoveries: The Journals of Lewis and Clark or Roll for the Galaxy. I see Age of War (That is what you meant right?) is made by Reiner Knizia, may have to pick it up sometime since it is going for a relatively inexpensive price.
That is what I meant, yeah. I have not played King of Tokyo but I've seen it. I didn't know it had that kind of Yahtzee kind of gameplay. I'll look into it further!
BTW in regards to the difference between Tokyo and New York, New York has a bit more complexity though they both are gateway esque games. King of New York you have a bit more options (which I appreciate).

So I got a game for Christmas, one I never heard of, Charterstone. Guess it is a well received game and looks like a blast, the basic premise is that it is a Legacy style game where everyone that plays (it handles up to 6 players) builds a city throughout 12 games, so after your 12th game you'll have a city that is unique to most others that also own the game. Best part is that once you finish the game it is apparently so much fun as a game it has replayability. It is designed by the same person who designed Scythe, Viticulture (this is the game of theirs I played and loved it) and Euphoria. You can also buy a refresh box for $20ish dollars and reset the board by flipping it over and starting over if you wish to go through the legacy campaign again.
Sophia

User avatar
BanjosBackpack
Posts: 748
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 11:10 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Tabletop Board and Card Games Thread

Post by BanjosBackpack » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:39 am

Played some Kingdomino today. Picked it up with Christmas cash. It's really fun! A quick-paced tile-laying scoring game. Right up my alley. Vibrant colors and nice art. My fiancee and I enjoyed it.

User avatar
goldenphoenix
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 6:25 pm

Re: Tabletop Board and Card Games Thread

Post by goldenphoenix » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:04 pm

A good friend of ours got me 7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon expansion along with Raxxon. Really excited to play Raxxon which is set in the same universe as Dead of Winter (Raxxon is basically Umbrella from the RE series) with the premise being that you are trying to rescue people from the spreading zombie infection before Raxxon gets heavily involved.
Sophia

User avatar
Robknoxious1
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 9:37 pm

Re: Tabletop Board and Card Games Thread

Post by Robknoxious1 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:00 pm

I never had anything to add to this thread when I was active here at Nintemple.

Lately though we've been playing a few different board games (though not often enough for me to feel like I really know what I'm doing strategically).

They are:

Pandemic
Seven Wonders
Settlers of Catan
Ticket to Ride

I like all of them pretty well. Hopefully we'll continue to set aside more time to play them.

User avatar
BanjosBackpack
Posts: 748
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 11:10 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Tabletop Board and Card Games Thread

Post by BanjosBackpack » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:05 am

Never played Seven Wonders but I love the rest.

User avatar
goldenphoenix
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 6:25 pm

Re: Tabletop Board and Card Games Thread

Post by goldenphoenix » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:49 am

Robknoxious1 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:00 pm
I never had anything to add to this thread when I was active here at Nintemple.

Lately though we've been playing a few different board games (though not often enough for me to feel like I really know what I'm doing strategically).

They are:

Pandemic
Seven Wonders
Settlers of Catan
Ticket to Ride

I like all of them pretty well. Hopefully we'll continue to set aside more time to play them.
Those are all good gateway games, if you enjoy 7 Wonders you may want to try out 7 Wonders Duel which is a 2 player variation that is a ton of fun and plays quickly. Lost Cities The Card Game is also a fantastic 2player game that plays quickly if you are interested in 2 player experiences. For more people I also would recommend Takenoko which is a super charming board game about a panda eating bamboo in the emperors garden.
Sophia

Post Reply