Tabletop Board and Card Games Thread

BanjosBackpack

Re: Tabletop Board and Card Games Thread

Post by BanjosBackpack » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:26 am

I can't believe that Ticket To Ride Rails & Sails is $80 normally… and currently $69 or so on Amazon. What the heck!? Surely it'll be worth it in the end but that is Christmas-gift fodder if I ever knew one.

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:42 pm

BanjosBackpack wrote:I can't believe that Ticket To Ride Rails & Sails is $80 normally… and currently $69 or so on Amazon. What the heck!? Surely it'll be worth it in the end but that is Christmas-gift fodder if I ever knew one.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Asmodee gobbling up so many companies and leveraging higher and higher MSRPS (Days of Wonder owns Ticket of Ride which is owned by Asmodee). They also just finalized their acquisition of F2Z who has Z-man and Plaid Hat, with the big game under that umbrella being Pandemic (and others). I think it will only get worse from there because Asmodee is run by an investment group and it will only be a matter of time before they start "trimming the fat" so to speak. Thankfully board gaming doesn't require massive budgets to design a game and there will always be some sort of competition in games, but still it is kind of sad to see.
Sophia

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:57 am

@GP, I both want Asmodee to fail with this Ticket To Ride game and not sell much… but I also want it to sell well so we get more and more Ticket To Ride! I remember you mentioning that acquisition and it's pretty disgusting. I hope 'indies' can keep new awesome things coming out to make these folks be more competitive.

In other curiosities, anyone play El Grande? I've been seeing it a lot in my Instagram feed lately and I'm intrigued...

NinSage
Site Admin

Post by NinSage » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:37 pm

I'll be overseeing a charity gaming marathon this weekend that involves some tabletop raffles and prizes and such. .... I hope I can handle it! =P

I can't even remember what game they are doing the give aways for. Something about draft packs? ....I'm so out of my depth LOL!

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:12 pm

NinSage wrote:I'll be overseeing a charity gaming marathon this weekend that involves some tabletop raffles and prizes and such. .... I hope I can handle it! =P

I can't even remember what game they are doing the give aways for. Something about draft packs? ....I'm so out of my depth LOL!
Now I'm curious what game it is, you'll have to let us know lol.
Sophia

NinSage
Site Admin

Post by NinSage » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:28 pm

Looks like it's for a little known, niche game called "Magic The Gathering." Never heard of it. Must be new.

............. jk. But, yea, that's the game =) They're giving out Booster Packs as prizes.

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:26 am

NinSage wrote:Looks like it's for a little known, niche game called "Magic The Gathering." Never heard of it. Must be new.

............. jk. But, yea, that's the game =) They're giving out Booster Packs as prizes.
One of the primary games that keeps physical game stores open lol. Seriously though it is really impressive how popular MTG the gathering has remained for over 2 decades. It was pretty much the spark that modern board gaming grew from.
Sophia

NinSage
Site Admin

Post by NinSage » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:43 am

True true. I'll never forget being on the bus to middle school one day and this kid stood up and shouted "what if I said I had a Royal Assassin on my person right now!"

Sadly, he had some social issues and was probably expecting some rush of popularity after his declaration. But, pretty much no one on the bus had any idea what he was shouting about, so, he just got blank stares. =\ I felt really bad for him.

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:58 am

The two episodes of TableTop Season 4 that are releasing ahead of the full season since it's a teaser for that dumb pay-channel thing… are out.

Champions of Midgard

Lanterns

I'm waiting to watch them with my girlfriend or just until Season 4 is released in early 2017. Not quite sure yet...

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:14 am

Champions of Midgard is really good even if the rule book is one of the worse I've ever read (Seriously they had the most important rules buried in the index lol).
Sophia