Happenings of the Day

JK Riki

Re: Happenings of the Day

Post by JK Riki » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:16 pm

Robknoxious1 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:25 am
Happy New Year everyone. *waves*
Hey! Good to see you, been a while! And Happy New Year back.

Rocket

Post by Rocket » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:09 am

I bought an unofficial USB charger for my Wii U Game Pad. Two chargers broke on me before, so I haven't had great luck and now I'm trying this option. I wish the connector on the Game Pad side wasn't proprietary from everything else in existence! This kind of thing is a massive pain when something goes wrong and you have to replace stuff, especially when you have a console that wasn't that popular. I'm glad the Switch uses the slightly more common USB-C.

Anyway it works like a charm so far. Hopefully it'll last!

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:31 am

I, too, am so glad the Switch went with USB-C. Brilliant move.

Rocket

Post by Rocket » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:49 am

Yeah I mean, I can even plug a controller into it! If there's ever another DS, it should come with one of those so I can use a controller on that too!

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:39 pm

I had a super cool gamedev experience. I took an early prototype of our second Weekend Panda game to my mother's house and handed it to her with no instruction, to see what she'd do. For twenty minutes she tried and failed to complete the first (ten-second-long) level. It was an astounding education in design, as I watched what she did vs. what I would do. I have so much great stuff to implement now to guide the player through the first level so they learn "hey, this is what works" before moving on to harder challenges. SO cool. What a ride.

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:44 pm

JK Riki wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:39 pm
I had a super cool gamedev experience. I took an early prototype of our second Weekend Panda game to my mother's house and handed it to her with no instruction, to see what she'd do. For twenty minutes she tried and failed to complete the first (ten-second-long) level. It was an astounding education in design, as I watched what she did vs. what I would do. I have so much great stuff to implement now to guide the player through the first level so they learn "hey, this is what works" before moving on to harder challenges. SO cool. What a ride.
Yeah it is kind of amazing how much thought goes into tutorial game design, I remember reading stuff about how finely tuned the first level of Super Mario Bros was in order to give players a lesson in how to play without being obvious about it.
Sophia

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:01 pm

goldenphoenix wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:44 pm

Yeah it is kind of amazing how much thought goes into tutorial game design, I remember reading stuff about how finely tuned the first level of Super Mario Bros was in order to give players a lesson in how to play without being obvious about it.
That's definitely a masterclass in design! Love those breakdowns. If anyone is interested in such things (as I now am!) you should totally check out Gamedeveloper's Toolkit. They are short videos that break down key design elements in popular games, and are fabulously crafted. I have to limit myself to one or two a day or I will sit and watch ALL OF THEM at once, ha ha.

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:40 am

JK Riki wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:01 pm
goldenphoenix wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:44 pm

That's definitely a masterclass in design! Love those breakdowns. If anyone is interested in such things (as I now am!) you should totally check out Gamedeveloper's Toolkit. They are short videos that break down key design elements in popular games, and are fabulously crafted. I have to limit myself to one or two a day or I will sit and watch ALL OF THEM at once, ha ha.
I'll have to watch those videos as well (Dang you lol. Been trying to finish a TV show, Grimm, on Amazon but now I'll have to watch a bunch of these design videos :) ), I've always been interested in stuff like that. Doubt I'd ever design a video game but it is still interesting to see games from another perspective. Nintendo seems to be one of the best when it comes to designing not only tutorials in games but also give players incentives to play games a certain way but also give them a sense of freedom as well.
Sophia

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:03 pm

Totally. Nintendo does the "invisible guiding hand" thing so beautifully you don't even know they are leading you through the experience. I am constantly amazed by them. Hoping to live up to such great heights some day with my own designs! If nothing else, it has kept me focus on "how can I show the player what's fun without a lengthy text-based tutorial."

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:15 pm

Got to officially announce our first game today, The Death of Mr. Fishy!

It's a snack-sized game that you can beat in about 10 minutes (or whenever you feel like quitting, really, because there are five endings but you should just play as much as you like). I hope folks will give it a whirl next month when we launch it on Android and the Apple store!

Now I guess I better go get to work FINISHING the thing, ha ha. (Oh, and in case our beloved NinTemple isn't here when it launches, you can bookmark WeekendPanda.com if you want a link to it once it releases. I'm sure I'll also yammer on about it on the Discord chat, too.)