Happenings of the Day

tofufury

Happenings of the Day

Post by tofufury » Sat May 28, 2016 3:28 am

Time for the return of an old favorite!

Well, I can't believe it happened, but Dark Souls went too far. It killed my PS3.

I'm sure the game actually didn't kill my system, but that was the last thing I played today before turning the system off. When I turned it back on after lunch, the screen looked a lot like the screen of an NES that needed a cleaning. I tried booting the system up in safe mode, but nothing came up, either. Doing research online, it appears my system has gone kaput. That means my 60 hour game file is a goner, in addition to all my saves (as few as they were).

I'm bummed. It's killed the momentum I had going into the last fourth of that game. I will beat this game, but I'm disheartened at the moment.

I'm going to move onto Zelda games until I can replace my system, so at least I have things to play.
Check out my new novel The Seekers and the Hidden on amazon!

https://www.amazon.com/Seekers-Hidden-C ... oks&sr=1-1

BanjosBackpack

Re: Happenings of the Day

Post by BanjosBackpack » Sat May 28, 2016 12:55 pm

Bummer to hear this Tofu. What Zelda game is on the docket?

For me, the past work was was pretty good. Minimal interaction with some key people I don't want to interact with. Had a nice free lunch at a delicious restaurant. Now I'm just about to get into the Memorial Day Weekend festivities. We're seeing Captain America tonight, which seems appropriate now that I think about it in some level, and then tomorrow we BBQ a lot. I hope I have enough liquid propane for the event but those tanks don't really clearly tell you how much you have.

Last night, Joe and I recorded another Euphonic episode though! Sports and Pokemon! Looking forward to seeing it's release.

tofufury

Post by tofufury » Mon May 30, 2016 3:08 am

Looking forward to the new episode!

And A Link to the Past is up first. I have a file I've been working on for a few years now off and on. From what I remember, I'm either at the Thieve's Hideout or the Ice Palace.

Matto

Post by Matto » Tue May 31, 2016 3:08 pm

I just found out Alan Young, the voice of Scrooge McDuck, passed away.

=(

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:12 am

Yeah, It's a bummer. Freaky weird to think that as we age, so many of those we loved but never knew will… ya know...

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:24 am

I've been dealing with this stupid vertigo that is far worse when I use the computer (this is my first time at my desk in days). Just wanted to pop by and say hello anyway.

I was going to go get an electric guitar for my birthday tomorrow, but am reconsidering it. Maybe I will wait until I'm feeling better. If that ever happens.

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:33 am

JK, sorry to hear you've got vertigo. I know it's more serious than Arrested Development would have you believe. Hope you're feeling better. If you do wait to get an electric guitar, be sure it's simply a wait. They're easier to play from a technical standpoint but you can also do way more complicated stuff with them (compared to acoustic). Hammer On has a whole new meaning with those. I'd hate to see that vertigo squashes your desire to play.

In other news, I am going to paste over a post I made at Negative World. Someone mentioned in our daily chat thread about how the internet is getting so pissed off about Harambe the Gorilla's death the other day when a kid climbed into his area. While the user has his own private supporting view that everything happened as it should, he goes on to say how the world is freaking out over it. I feel like it's a bigger deal than he puts it but alas, I don't freak out about it like the internet does. So anyway, since I didn't want to make yet another OT thread about news or something I'll just post my thoughts here. It was a happening of the day after all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I think pretty much everyone involved is in the wrong to some degree. The zoo probably made the right call but they shouldn't have had to shoot an endangered species. I don't think they wanted to. The mother should have absolutely watched her child better and probably holds a majority of the real blame and cause here. However like Andrew said, accidents happen and since I wasn't there, I can't know how truly negligent the mother was. I heard that the child even was stating to the mother before this how it wanted to play in the water. But I can't cite the source so it could be a bullshit thing someone said.

Evidence leans that the ape was protecting the child. The video I posted below showcases this as it appears to be acting in a manner that is akin to it with it's own child than with a threat. Clearly the ape is not pleased with all the screaming and yelling either. It looked nervous, but that's part of why the zoo probably made the right call. If something set off Harambe, it could have gotten very bad for the child. Though Matthew, I have no idea where you heard he was throwing the child 10 feet into the air. That seems like a bold-lie from all the media and articles I've experienced on this. Video below shows the child being dragged but for a normal ape child this kind of momentum and motion is well more normal than for us. Harambe isn't supposed to know there's a difference.

I'm pretty disappointed that the situation happened at all. I feel Harambe probably thought he was doing the right thing considering the circumstance. However Matthew's point is not just about the actual event but about the public outrage about this. Both sides are wickedly passionate about this. The country as a whole is more at odds about things than ever. Our media likes it this way though and I suspect it has a huge part to play in the ever growing 'debate culture' or whatever you could call it. A lot of blame can be placed everywhere but so many folks who are against the shooting would not be so if it was their child, and so many people who are in support of the mother perhaps are looking past the mistakes that caused this event to happen in the first place. I do wonder how appropriate it is to charge her with some kind of animal endangerment, but perhaps not after the zoo took it's own actions. No citizen should interact directly with zoo animals unless designated to (a la feeding the ducks). This whole thing never should have happened, but there probably wasn't any other way it could have safely considering it had already begun.

Child Falls Into Gorilla Exhibit (2+ min video of incident)

RIP Harambe.

These outraged petition makers are most likely self-serving their own needs; looking to grab on to a position and feel good that others agree with their position. We're so afraid, as a culture, to have differing views. It's not apparent that people who don't agree can still co-exist. Our government certainly sets a horrible example for this. The media propagates it also. People need conflict and drama and news stories like this just tend to grab people I guess.

tofufury

Post by tofufury » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:11 am

Sorry to hear about your vertigo JK. I've only experienced it once, and it wasn't fun.

On other, happier news, my wife surprised me today with a new, used PS3. I've been able to redownload everything I lost, minus saves. I'll return to Dark Souls once I finish A Link to the Past.

Rocket

Post by Rocket » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:30 am

That's a pity about Alan Young alright :( Fair play to him though for getting into his 90s and voicing Scrooge McDuck all along.

Hope the vertigo gets better soon JK. Nice to see you here!

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:31 pm

BanjosBackpack wrote:JK, sorry to hear you've got vertigo. I know it's more serious than Arrested Development would have you believe. Hope you're feeling better. If you do wait to get an electric guitar, be sure it's simply a wait. They're easier to play from a technical standpoint but you can also do way more complicated stuff with them (compared to acoustic). Hammer On has a whole new meaning with those. I'd hate to see that vertigo squashes your desire to play.
To be honest guitar is one of the few things that DON'T make me dizzy right now, ha ha. So if anything, vertigo has made me play more! There's the silver lining! :) I was mostly waiting because I wanted to plug it into Rocksmith and with not being able to use the computer, that kind of went out the window.

Another positive? Out in the real world I saw a few mentions of something with a gorilla, as you posted about, but I was not online enough to get worked up over the Internet Overreaction Of the Day. Actually the time away from the computer has made me realize I may not want to go back to it like I was when/if this vertigo ever goes away... So... it may have taught me a very large life lesson here. We'll see!

Oh and speaking of the guitar thing, I figured out the one I want to get. It's an Epiphone Les Paul 100 that I guess is like a dumbed down value version of some other Les Paul guitar that costs a bajillion dollars or something? Honestly I have no idea. All I know is I tried a bunch at the guitar store and that one played like butter to me. Much nicer than the others I tried, even more expensive ones, so that will be the one! Now I'm just going to wait for the annual 4th of July sale to save a few bucks. :)

Alright, I only turned on the computer to put some new Relient K albums I bought onto my phone, and I got distracted by here, so I better get off before I get dizzy again! Thanks for the well-wishes and thoughts everybody. I appreciate it.