Happenings of the Day

goldenphoenix

Re: Happenings of the Day

Post by goldenphoenix » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:22 am

So we have had a mouse infestation the last month or so, thought it was only one mouse but appears to be a litter so we've been trying to catch them in our apartment with humane traps. Even ordered a dwarf hamster setup to keep them as pets (because I'm weird like that lol), well we caught three of them but they ended up escaping, one just dashed away when trying to put him in the cage, the other unlatched a part of the hamster cage. We are now at the point where we have to tell the apartment complex and they likely will be exterminated which I'm not thrilled about but has to be done for our own safety (especially myself since I have a compromised immune system) so we are doing one more week of humane traps (which they seem to be figuring out).

Anyway as a surprise my fiancee got me two dwarf robo hamsters today, and I really love them, they are still learning how to get around in their home, they even figured out the hamster wheel lol. As a bonus we caught what appears to be the mother mouse who is larger then the others, but she missed the boat and I took her about 4 miles away from the apartment and let her go in a campus park. As strange and as sappy as it sounds I felt really bad about doing that since it was 35 degrees outside, though my hope was that maybe she'd find a safe place by the nearby buildings (not houses) and stay out of people's way. Now to hopefully catch the others, not sure if there only 2 (may have caught one twice) left or maybe more, either way we'll do what we can before the pest control get here.

Regardless despite feeling sad about letting the one mouse go, I really like the dwarf robo hamsters.
Sophia

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:58 am

I appreciate you trying to humanely catch them. I had a mouse in my walls last year and we did manage to catch it humanely and let it out in a corn field some distance away from the house. I hope it survived for just a little longer at least. I was hoping it would find a barn or something.

Rocket

Post by Rocket » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:24 am

I just learned about Saturday Night Live's "What's Up With That?" recurring sketch where it's a chat show host that won't stop singing and it's wonderful! I love that I keep finding great skits and sketches this show has featured :)

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:22 am

I haven't seen them do one of those in a while but I too enjoy the "What's Up With That" sketches. Kenan, as long as he's been on there, has been a consistent player and I appreciate him with his characters.

Rocket

Post by Rocket » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:01 pm

I've been watching them on repeat for the past few days! Yeah Kenan Thompson's great and he's an example of TV still being good as long as the hardworking talent is there.

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:40 pm

SUPER HYPED!

I got to officially announce today that my wife is quitting her job and we are going to work on our own business in 2018. It's an indie gamedev studio called Weekend Panda. :D

We have a bit saved up since there will be no income right away and some amazing safety nets in the way of family, friends, and our church. Plus if we starve or lose our house, it will only be the two of us taking full responsibility for our choice. This seemed like the right time to give it a shot. After all, life is short! I don't want to get to the end wondering "what if?" (Still, not going to lie, some days it's instantly terrifying to realize what we're attempting, ha ha.)

I hope you'll all try out our first game in February or March when it arrives! It will be a bite-sized one to test the waters and get an idea of how all this stuff works.

Rocket

Post by Rocket » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:10 pm

Wow good luck JK. I don't know anything about running a business myself but I'm trying to learn. Hope it goes well for ye.

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:13 am

JK Riki wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:40 pm
SUPER HYPED!

I got to officially announce today that my wife is quitting her job and we are going to work on our own business in 2018. It's an indie gamedev studio called Weekend Panda. :D

We have a bit saved up since there will be no income right away and some amazing safety nets in the way of family, friends, and our church. Plus if we starve or lose our house, it will only be the two of us taking full responsibility for our choice. This seemed like the right time to give it a shot. After all, life is short! I don't want to get to the end wondering "what if?" (Still, not going to lie, some days it's instantly terrifying to realize what we're attempting, ha ha.)

I hope you'll all try out our first game in February or March when it arrives! It will be a bite-sized one to test the waters and get an idea of how all this stuff works.
Wish you the both the best, has to be exciting and scary all at once! If you ever need someone with a BA in Business along with 10 years experience with a small business I am available lol.
Sophia

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:54 am

Good Luck JK. Which platforms are you working on for your first game and which do you plan to work with in the future?

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:58 pm

@Rocket Thanks! Good luck with the learning. If I come across any useful tips by failure or otherwise, I'll be sure to let you know, ha ha. It's all one big lesson, it seems.

@Goldenphoenix I appreciate it! Right now just getting things up and running, but I hope to never fail to listen to good advice from those with experience, so if there's anything you want to make known "from day 1" just say the word, ha ha.

@Banjo We are planning to work in Unity for the time being, and the nice thing there is it can handle simple mobile games or a console-wide release like Yooka-Laylee! However at first, no Yooka-Laylee, lol. We are going to being by doing a Snack-Sized game, which will be a learning experience but still produce something we hope people will enjoy. Then we'll keep building and trying slightly bigger things until we end up at a place where we can maybe pay bills and keep our house? I hope? :) But right now our focus is on that first one and a rough idea of the few that come after, and those will be for Apple and Android devices. I've read a lot about how a huge mistake many newbie game devs make is trying to go too big too soon, or add features left and right, or things like that. I'm trying to learn from that and start us out as small as possible so we can get our feet wet.

But we'll see! Going to take it one day at a time for the present moment. Who knows what we'll discover as we go? Might turn our plans upside down or something. Trying to be open to such things. :)