[Games] "Hey NinTemple! Whatcha Playing?"

GameDadGrant

Re: [Games] "Hey NinTemple! Whatcha Playing?"

Post by GameDadGrant » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:50 pm

Sweet, the 2DSXL is a pretty slick-looking piece of tech! I bought one, but I ended up giving it to my son. I had forgotten that I hate the XL screens and also that I love stereoscopic 3D, LOL.

He rarely uses 3D (his eyes aren't the greatest, and his glasses make the "super-stable" 3D act all wonky) so it was kind of a perfect fit.

Mop it up

Post by Mop it up » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:50 pm

Oh yeah, I was playing Mario & Luigi Dream Team a couple months back and forgot to post about it.

I think it's good, but it could certainly be better even for what it is. The writing can be clever at times, but the game is certainly too chatty, which includes all of the tutorials, some of which cannot be skipped. It actually didn't bother me as much as I thought it might based on people's complaints, though I guess I'm just used to inane dialogue in games by now. The gameplay itself is the strong suit, and the battles are enjoyable as ever. This game probably has the most elaborate enemies in the series yet, and it's fun to figure out their tricks and the timing to dodging everything. The dream side of battles can also add some interesting twists to mix things up. The dream world in general is pretty neat, I like the whimsy of it all and the concept of it.

As with previous games, I feel like there are some strong equips in the game that are almost game-breaking, though sometimes they're tougher to find than they are in this game. For example, it wasn't too far in that I got an accessory which negates 6 separate enemy attacks, which is a lot. Most normal battles didn't even last long enough for that to happen, and even if they did (such as using multi-hit attacks) I could use those 6 times to learn how to dodge the attacks. Then there are also things like auto-heals based on damage dealt, which can be combined with POW-ups for some huge heals. It is nice to have a variety of different equipment effects, but they could stand to be more balanced. The only time I ever lost a battle was with one of the Giant Luigi ones towards the end.

One thing I remembered people talking about is having difficulty with the final boss, so I made sure I was prepared for that. Though, I usually take my time with games anyway, and collect as much side stuff as I can. With all of the powerful pieces of equipment in this game, I had on a couple of POW-boosting equipment, plus a couple of the power-increasing rank bonuses, and Mario and Luigi were dealing crazy amounts of damage. It was so much that things like the healing of the boss was basically nothing, and I stomped through it with relative ease. That said, I can see where someone unprepared would have some real difficulty, but it was no problem for me since I had collected much of the game's best gear.

Overall, I enjoyed my time with it, but it does have some nagging issues that hold it back from greatness. I'm not sure where I would rank it amongst the series at this time, as I don't remember too much of Partners in Time or Bowser's Inside Story. I'd probably have to play them both again to come up with a solid ranking, though it wouldn't surprise me if Dream Team would be in the number two slot.

Rocket

Post by Rocket » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:26 pm

One of my favourite 3DS games! I love jumping in an out of Luigi's dreams, though making Bowser do stuff in the previous game is more fun imo.

It's chatty alright. Between Starlow and Prince Dreambert you have two Navis. There are so many mechanics in these games though that you need to learn them as you go. You're always learning new stuff.

One of my favourite things is seeing Luigi laugh in his sleep!

GameDadGrant

Post by GameDadGrant » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:54 am

Dream Team's battle music is my favorite of any of the Mario RPG games. So bouncy and energetic! I should really get around to finishing this game.

The Mii StreetPass Plaza's "Puzzle Swap" panel for this game was pretty great, too. :D

Mop it up

Post by Mop it up » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:08 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that I did like the music. It isn't amazing, but it's good, and probably the best soundtrack in an M&L game.
Rocket wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:26 pm
It's chatty alright. Between Starlow and Prince Dreambert you have two Navis.
Yeah, which I think is unnecessary. They really need to learn how to make the dialogue in these games more concise.

Mop it up

Post by Mop it up » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:48 pm

Something I played last month and couldn't post about was The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap for GBA, finally checking this off my list. I'm not sure why I never bought this on GBA, but I've finally gotten around to trying the version I got on 3DS.

Overall, I liked the game a lot. It has some good dungeon designs, and I liked how a lot of it focused on the new (or relatively new) items and abilities in the game. I feel like the shrinking gimmick probably could have been handled more smoothly, particularly when it's used in a boss battle, but it was decent enough. The overworld has a fair amount of secrets in it as well, making it fun to explore. There's still some pointless padding though, but that's pretty much any modern game for you.

With this, it now makes just one main Legend of Zelda game that I haven't played: Spirit Tracks. I do have a copy of that one, so I'll probably try to get to it before too long.

Rocket

Post by Rocket » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:32 pm

Good to see you enjoyed Minish Cap Mop it up :) I've played through it a couple of times myself.

It's got some good action and I generally love the Four Sword as an idea. I remember going small was really fun when exploring mouseholes in houses.

On the point of padding, there were so many medallions to join up. So many...

One annoying thing was when Link would get set on fire and you couldn't stop him running. He doesn't show emotion during this which is kinda weird.

NinSage
Site Admin

Post by NinSage » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:29 pm

TMS#FE is still on hold. I've also put Gunvolt back in the package and I'll restart that game someday when I have more time. .....also sort of tempted to trade in my 3DS copy for the Switch one that is coming out .... we'll see.

Pretty much the only game I've been playing is I got back into Final Fantasy Explorers. Been toying around with some new classes like Knight (yay!) and Paladin (meh). Been playing with Mop_it_up and Rocket and trying to prepare for helping Rocket with his big end-game missions. @GDG we can always use a 4th if you're ever around ^_^

GameDadGrant

Post by GameDadGrant » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:05 pm

Metroid: Samus Returns is so good. So good. I was running around for like, 45 minutes last night. Lost. I had no idea what to do next. I knew generally where I had to go, but no idea how to get there. I was (figuratively) bashing my head against the wall trying to figure it out.

Then, just as I was about to give up, I noticed a small crevice that I hadn't tried to bomb yet. And lo and behold, doing so opened the path for me to move forward.

It was a great feeling of relief and joy having finally solved the "puzzle" while at the same time feeling dumb for not getting it sooner. :P

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:44 pm

I didn't need much convincing, but your post totally convinced me, Grant!