General Gaming News

NinSage
Site Admin

Re: General Gaming News

Post by NinSage » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:25 pm

New Dillon!? That's pretty cool! Glad to see that series stay alive. I have the first two games downloaded, but, uh.... haven't even loaded 'em up. Someday!! =)

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:30 pm

Someday never comes!! DO IT NOW! :P

But I can't talk, I was the same way for years. Had the game right there, never played it. It takes a little getting used to, but once you do, I thought the game was absolutely fantastic. So much charm and a great "world" too. I want more.

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:47 pm

EA Games is shutting down visceral games, who in the past made games like Dead Space. What is even more disturbing it sounds like it may be for their microtransaction strategy if you read between the lines.

https://www.ea.com/news/an-update-on-th ... rs-project

key quote:
Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace.
Sophia

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:34 pm

That sucks for the devs. Man. Well, I hope they get even better jobs where ever they end up!

chrisbg99

Post by chrisbg99 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:16 pm

I feel bad for these devs who start these companies who make good to great games only to be bought up by behemoth companies like EA or Activision and aren't allowed to make the games they wanted, see the IPs they created handed off to some other company and then closed to "shore up" budget because 4 million units sold isn't enough to make a profit. I get that game development is expensive and if you don't profit you can't do more but I dunno it just seems like EA buys these companies just to eventually take their IPs.
You cannot grasp the true form of this post! Sorry.

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:16 am

To be fair, those devs could... you know... NOT sell out to EA or Activision...

It's the harder road, but it gives you 100% of control.

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:31 am

JK Riki wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:16 am
To be fair, those devs could... you know... NOT sell out to EA or Activision...

It's the harder road, but it gives you 100% of control.
Sadly many of this devs have little say in that, it is the shareholders/owners. Not to mention when someone throws millions at you it is hard to say no lol. Nintendo seems to be good about picking up companies and still letting their talent shine through (to an extent) even if they may focus them on a certain IP. Monolith has been pretty free, it seems, to pursue what is unique to them.
Sophia

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:34 am

After the massive backlash over their microtransaction/progression system in Star Wars Battlefront 2 EA has removed microtransactions completely from the game so they can retool it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/11/17/ ... ns-offline
Sophia

Lithium

Post by Lithium » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:36 pm

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:45 am

Wow, that's all? I feel like the Wii is far older! Amazing. It was certainly an industry-changing little device.