I don't care what anyone says. Castlevania Judgment is fun.

GameDadGrant

I don't care what anyone says. Castlevania Judgment is fun.

Post by GameDadGrant » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:15 pm

No, I'm not lying. And no, I'm not saying it's a masterpiece. But I was able to snag this for fairly cheap last week, and I put some time into it this past weekend. It's...honestly not bad. There are some legit issues with it of course. The camera is out of control sometimes, and...yeah, the character designs don't feel like they belong in the franchise. No argument there.

But the actual gameplay? It's pretty decent. It was co-developed at Konami by Eighting - a company well-versed in creating fun and accessible fighting games. Best known for their work on the Blood Roar franchise, as well as the Naruto: Clash of Ninja series as well as another awesome Wii-exclusive fighting game, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.

All characters have their own unique move sets, attacks, as well as strengths and weaknesses. Some are better at long-distance fighting, others are better when things are up-close and personal. Their special moves and super moves, while all performed with the same button press, are all different and have to be used in different ways depending on the character and who the opponent is. At first blush, the game *can* come across as a mindless button-masher, but if you dig in a bit, there's more to discover. It's a surprisingly well-balanced game. It is also pretty cool that this is a true 3D fighting game. You're not automatically locked in to be facing your opponent and be on the same "plane" as them. You can freely move about the arena as you choose. Anyone who has played Capcom's Power Stone games will have a good idea of what I'm getting at.

The graphics are also some of the best you'll find on Wii. Yeah, the character designs are a bit gag-inducing (unless you're a big fan of the 'Death Note' manga/anime) but outside of that? This is some solid work. Characters are big and detailed, and feature plenty of polygons to make them look smooth. Jaggies are kept to a minimum, and the geometry and textures in the environments are all impressive. Framerate keeps at a solid clip too - no slowdown or missed frames, ever. The music is all top-notch too. A little disappointing that there are so few new music tracks, but the fact that the majority of the soundtrack is made up of fantastic remixes of classic Castlevania tunes more than makes up for it.

On top of that, there is a plethora of different modes, things to unlock, and the characters are customizable. There's even some Connectivity with Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia on the DS! It's a surprisingly robust package for what could have been a simple franchise cash-grab. (which, I suppose, it kind of is anyway...but at least it's done well!) It's only real sin is the camera. If only they were able to make it so the action was always clear and wasn't obscured by some of the environmental hazards, candlesticks or behind the back of one of the fighters...this could have been a big hit. Kind of wish the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection was still active. It would have been interesting to see how well (or poorly) this would have played online. Oh well.

Anyway, check it out if you (like me) passed this game up when it first came out in 2008. It's not the Castlevania game we wanted. It's not the Castlevania game the Wii deserved. But taken for what it is? It's fun. It's not the best game in the series and it's not the best fighting game ever made. But it's not hot garbage like many reviewers said it was back when it came out. Give it a chance...who knows, maybe you'll dig it. Fairly inexpensive too...typically I was able to find it for between $25-$35, complete in box with everything.

Cheers!

NinSage
Site Admin

Re: I don't care what anyone says. Castlevania Judgment is fun.

Post by NinSage » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:49 pm

I'm glad you enjoy the game, GDG!

I love Castlevania but was turned off by the character designs and probably wouldn't be interested in a CV fighting game no matter how good it was.

I used to have a lithograph from when this game was released. I can't remember how I got it. I also think I tried to sell it on eBay but I can't remember if I succeeded. If I still have it and can find it, would you want it, GDG??

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:03 am

I've never even heard of this before.

GameDadGrant

Post by GameDadGrant » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:57 pm

NinSage wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:49 pm
I'm glad you enjoy the game, GDG!

I love Castlevania but was turned off by the character designs and probably wouldn't be interested in a CV fighting game no matter how good it was.

I used to have a lithograph from when this game was released. I can't remember how I got it. I also think I tried to sell it on eBay but I can't remember if I succeeded. If I still have it and can find it, would you want it, GDG??
Oh yeah, that'd be awesome! I can PayPal ya! Let me known if you find it! :D

Rocket

Post by Rocket » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:09 pm

IGA was saying how using the Wii Remote to swing the whip would be awesome, but it would get real tiring to do it for hours at a time — so they made a fighting game where an average session typically lasts a couple of minutes.

The Wii generation was about cool new ideas and I'm always glad to see appreciation for it :)

GameDadGrant

Post by GameDadGrant » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:37 am

Rocket wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:09 pm
IGA was saying how using the Wii Remote to swing the whip would be awesome, but it would get real tiring to do it for hours at a time — so they made a fighting game where an average session typically lasts a couple of minutes.

The Wii generation was about cool new ideas and I'm always glad to see appreciation for it :)
Did IGA not realize that a large majority of Wii owners played Twilight Princess for hours on end, swinging that Wiimote the entire time? LOL :P

Namco must have gotten the opposite idea,since they changed Soulcalibur on Wii from a fighting game to an action/adventure one. The Wii era was cool, but it was also weird.

NinSage
Site Admin

Post by NinSage » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:24 am

@GDG

I couldn't find the lithograph =\ That means I probably sold it on eBay but I went to verify that and apparently eBay will only let you see records of purchases or sales in the last 60 days?!?!? .... I confuzed. Anyway, bottom line is I don't seem to have it =( Sorry, bro, I would have sent it for freeeeee.

Rocket

Post by Rocket » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:48 pm

GameDadGrant wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:37 am
Did IGA not realize that a large majority of Wii owners played Twilight Princess for hours on end, swinging that Wiimote the entire time? LOL :P

Namco must have gotten the opposite idea,since they changed Soulcalibur on Wii from a fighting game to an action/adventure one. The Wii era was cool, but it was also weird.
That was the counterpoint everyone had then! Also yeah, I loved how the Wii had weird ideas and blockbuster success. It was a truly interesting time for video games.

GameDadGrant

Post by GameDadGrant » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:47 pm

Rocket wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:48 pm
That was the counterpoint everyone had then! Also yeah, I loved how the Wii had weird ideas and blockbuster success. It was a truly interesting time for video games.
Yeah agreed. I feel DS did it first (and better). But definitely an interesting time.

Mop it up

Post by Mop it up » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:47 pm

I don't own and haven't played this specific game, but the sentiment of "this game is better than the credit people gave it" is how I feel about a lot of Wii games.