I gots me a SNES Classic!

tofufury

Re: I gots me a SNES Classic!

Post by tofufury » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:41 am

So I played the SNES Classic with my nephews over the break. My two eldest nephews are aged 7 and 5, so I had to pick games at their skill level, focusing on platformers. This was what I found, after asking their opinions.

Kirby's Dream Course- Boring (which made me a sad uncle...). However, it is a hard game, so I understand why they didn't like it.
Yoshi's Island- Both nephews love Yoshi, and Wooly World is their favorite game to play on my WiiU. My eldest only played a little bit of it, and while he liked it, it was a little too hard for him.
Super Mario World- Fun, but I found that once we made it past the first castle, the game was too hard for them. My eldest nephew loves Mario, and can play SMB3 easily, but World's two jump buttons was hard to grasp. Lots of the platforming involves holding the jump button to extend Mario's airtime, and that's not something they're very good with.
Donkey Kong Country- Both nephews LOVED DKC, and kept requesting that they play it with me. My eldest nephew was even able to beat the first boss on his own. It took him a little while to get used to the difficulty, and I'd switch in for the hard stuff, but if I was still there, I'd imagine we'd still be working through it.
Kirby's Super Star- Thank goodness Nintendo included this game. I got them set up for co-op so I could sit back and give advice. While I think DKC was the more popular game, this one was more at their skill level, with Kirby's forgiving jump buttons. My younger nephew isn't that great at games yet, and he'd die often, but thankfully it was easy to get him back as a new character.
Super Mario Kart- They enjoyed it, but I don't think they're crazy about racers. After going through a few tracks, they'd want to switch to a new game. I do have to give my older nephew props for trying the feather jump shortcut in the first Ghost House track.

After playing with the SNES classic for a few days, they wanted to just stick with the WiiU, which is okay. They still had fun with the old games, and I was glad to spend the time showing them games I liked as a kid.
Check out my new novel The Seekers and the Hidden on amazon!

https://www.amazon.com/Seekers-Hidden-C ... oks&sr=1-1

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:30 pm

That's sounds like quite a nice experience overall Tofu. I got to do that a bit with the NES Classic, of which I was able to buy one for my nephews. I didn't hunt for an SNES Classic for them though since they seemed to be more interested in the Switch and Minecraft and such.

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:52 pm

I was at my local mom and pop shop today to get a small plastic case for Switch carts so when I'm traveling they don't break and on the shelf was an SNES mini.

I starred at it for a long time*, considering if I should buy it or not.

*4 seconds.

I got a gift receipt though because I don't think I want or need the thing. BUT GUYS IT WAS RIGHT THERE. My currently plan is to let it sit on the shelf at home for a week or two and REALLY think about it, and if I decide it was a stupid impulse purchase (probably will) then I'll take it back and let someone else buy and enjoy it.

So tempting to keep it though. Sigh. Stupid NES Classic is the problem. I worry I will never be able to find one of these again because of how that one was so limited in production!

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:22 pm

It's okay to give in to your collector impulse a little bit. It's a special item.

Are any of your top 5 games on it? Top 10? If so, keep it. If not, give further thought.

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:28 am

Well I mean, I LIKE a lot of the games on it, but after my emotions of "wow, I found one!" calmed down a bit I read through the list of games on the back and honestly the big standout for me is Kirby's Dream Course, which I bought for the SNES and on the VC back in the Wii days. If it came out on the Switch VC (if there even is one, sigh) I would buy it a third time. And I'd probably buy a few other games that were on the SNES mini, just not immediately. I also love Yoshi's Island, but to be honest I've now played it about a dozen times, so I'm not super itching to go again right now.

I decided to sit down and think about "If each of these SNES games were on a Switch VC, how many would I buy at $10?" Unfortunately the answer was not $80 worth, so it seems like I've decided to return the system and use those funds for maybe a few more eShop cards, because frankly Golf Story and Shantae are both begging me to buy them, ha ha. So, I'll give it a few more days, but that's the direction I'm leaning!

(For the record, here are the ones I would buy on a Switch VC, should we be graced with such a thing some day)
Mega Man X - Day 1
Kirby's Dream Course - Day 1
Super Mario World
Super Mario Kart
Yoshi's Island

And I always want to play Earthbound, but every time I try it's just too hard for me and I die almost instantly, so that kind of turned me off to that game. Otherwise it would have been on the list.

Rocket

Post by Rocket » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:50 pm

I'm in the club! I bought one today from a shop that had 5 of them in stock. Maybe things are getting better.

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:36 am

Before you return it, see if someone here or at NegativeWorld will buy it off you for face value.

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:39 am

Yeah, anyone need one that couldn't find one? I don't know how we'd handle it, but I can try and get it to you for what I paid, which is I believe 79.95 plus tax. But then it would have to include shipping too, I guess.

I'll hold onto it until after the holidays, like I said. So no rush. Probably won't return or consider returning it until mid January.

@Rocket: Congrats! What are you going to play first?

Rocket

Post by Rocket » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:39 pm

Thanks! Hmm not sure. I know it can't be Star Fox 2 though, since that has to be unlocked.

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:32 am

JK, if you get no takers here, ask on Negative World. I know a guy at work who might be interested in buying it off you but I won't be seeing him till the new year. If it's not gone by then, I will certainly ask him.

He tried a few times at work to nab one but he wasn't fast enough online. Made for some sad meetings we had, lol.