Fixing the Forum and Asking for Donations

NinSage
Site Admin

Fixing the Forum and Asking for Donations

Post by NinSage » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:33 pm

Hi gang,

1. So, I finally have someone taking a look at the forum and trying to fix the crippling registration problem we've been having for quite a while now. It's one of TofuFury's friends, Marc. So, next time you communicate with Tofu, please thank him for convincing Marc to help us out. In fact, I believe Marc said something along the lines of "since it's for [Tofu], I'm happy to help!"

No word on exactly when things will be fixed, but, hopefully it will be relatively soon. Besides, we've been waiting so long, what's a little longer, right? =P

2. As some of you know, part of the problem with the forums arose when our site was moved from a server GoDaddy was retiring to one of their new servers. Unfortunately, the cost of living on this new server is much higher than before. I used to pay about $25 per year to keep the website running. As of this year, that amount has skyrocketed to $95.88 (hosting) + $15.17 (domain name) for a total of $111.05. I don't know if some of that was a one-time fee, but, it sort of sounds like an annual thing.

Because of this, for the first time in our 8+ years of operation, I'm going to be asking for some optional donations. I'm going to wait until after the forum is actually fixed first. Once it is, I'll probably place a PayPal "Donate" button somewhere on the site.

A few notes on the donation process ...
A. In getting to know many of you, it seems like financial insecurity is a common issue among many of us. So, do not donate unless you absolutely can comfortably spare the amount.
B. TofuFury is exempt from donating because he found the guy willing to fix our forum for free and he paid for our dinner in Toronto.
C. I'm only trying to recoup the expenses, not profit. If/when the cost above is recovered, I will take down the donation button.

Please post below if you have any questions, and thanks in advance. :)

~Joe

JK Riki

Re: Fixing the Forum and Asking for Donations

Post by JK Riki » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:09 pm

Sounds good! I'm glad you found hopefully the right person for the job.

As for donations, I'll toss in some for sure. Especially if it means more people posting in this great place! Financial insecurity is part of life for me, and I can't let that stop me from doing what I feel is right to do, which includes helping friends. If I waited until I was comfortable to do things, man, I'd be sitting in a dark corner with a big stick all day every day. :P Besides, in 35 years of life on this planet I've come to realize financial security isn't so secure anyway, as markets crash and banks fail and there's nothing I can do about that. God's got me this far, and I trust he'll take care of me until I move on. :)

Let us know when the donation button arrives! If there's anything else we can do to help, also, just say the word. Maybe when the whole forum is fixed we can have a Recruitment Party or something where every active member tries to find one person they think would jive well with this awesome site and invite them personally? Then we can all spend a week or two making a conscious effort to post more here and try to get the flywheel moving again with new friends to join in. Just a thought.

GameDadGrant

Post by GameDadGrant » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:05 am

Registration problem?

NinSage
Site Admin

Post by NinSage » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:12 pm

GameDadGrant wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:05 am
Registration problem?
LOL! yea, for a while now, the new user registration process has been completely broken. This is partly why we haven't had anyone new show up in such a long time. That last couple "new" people were the result of me changing names, email addresses, and passwords of existing accounts that were never used.

chrisbg99

Post by chrisbg99 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:29 am

So at what point can I turn my nose upright and snort haughtily about "e-begging"?
You cannot grasp the true form of this post! Sorry.

NinSage
Site Admin

Post by NinSage » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:04 pm

chrisbg99 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:29 am
So at what point can I turn my nose upright and snort haughtily about "e-begging"?
Anytime you want! ... but it costs $5.

Almighty_Marc

Post by Almighty_Marc » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:44 pm

Forums are fixed, any new user should be able to register. Glad I could help. :)
Bluegrass/Rhythm & Roots band, Rowdy Souls: http://www.facebook.com/rowdysouls

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:47 am

Almighty_Marc wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:44 pm
Forums are fixed, any new user should be able to register. Glad I could help. :)
Thank you Almighty_Marc!

tofufury

Post by tofufury » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:54 am

:) I had complete faith that Marc could figure this issue out. He's helped me with so many of my own computer issues in the past, so he knows his stuff. I'm glad that the forums are back to normal now, so we can add to our good group of forum users.
Check out my new novel The Seekers and the Hidden on amazon!

https://www.amazon.com/Seekers-Hidden-C ... oks&sr=1-1

NinSage
Site Admin

Post by NinSage » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:26 am

The Donate button is now active in the upper left corner of the forums. My goal for 2017 is $95.88 (hosting) + $15.17 (domain) = 111.05 (total). As soon as I reach that amount, the button will come down. I'm not looking to profit, just break even.

As I said up above, I know most of us are strapped for cash, so, please do not donate unless it would be comfortable for you. Also, TofuFury is exempt from donating because (A) he took me out to dinner a few months ago and (B) he found the guy who fixed our forums =P

So, if you can donate, give that button a click - I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, gang.