Super Mario Odyssey Gush Thread (No Spoilers! That means you. Yeah you, you know who are!)

goldenphoenix

Re: Super Mario Odyssey Gush Thread (No Spoilers! That means you. Yeah you, you know who are!)

Post by goldenphoenix » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:58 pm

I find it interesting that some are complaining that the worlds are "small". Fact is that for one, they aren't super small IMO, but two they are well designed to where you can always find something to do or explore without it feeling padded out. What so many platformers failed at post-Mario 64 was that the levels would be too expansive (Banjo Tooie, as much as I love the game had this issue). Mario Odyssey seems to be a sweet spot between not too small and not too large for the most part (some I felt were a bit too linear but that is my only complaint about the levels, even those had interesting stuff to do).
Sophia

JK Riki

Re: Super Mario Odyssey Gush Thread (No Spoilers! That means you. Yeah you, you know who are!)

Post by JK Riki » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:16 pm

BanjosBackpack wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:04 pm
I've found that (luckily enough) Nintendo usually puts at least 10 coins between a checkpoint and a hard area. In the couple of spots where I kept failing each and every time, I was still slowly growing my coin collection because there would be 10 coins along the way. I suspect this is a design perk and not just luck but I haven't fully audited the hard areas of the game. Just from my experience.
Agreed. This game is designed so beautifully regarding things like that.
goldenphoenix wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:58 pm
I find it interesting that some are complaining that the worlds are "small". Fact is that for one, they aren't super small IMO, but two they are well designed to where you can always find something to do or explore without it feeling padded out. What so many platformers failed at post-Mario 64 was that the levels would be too expansive (Banjo Tooie, as much as I love the game had this issue). Mario Odyssey seems to be a sweet spot between not too small and not too large for the most part (some I felt were a bit too linear but that is my only complaint about the levels, even those had interesting stuff to do).
I agree. The world I've seen so far feel just about right. A few DO feel a bit small. Or maybe it's that they are such interesting designs I want more! :) Like the
Spoiler:
Dinosaur kingdom, I could use another full island to run around on, I love that place. The Sand kingdom felt just about perfect to me, and the Woods kingdom was similar. I want more Dinosaur kingdom.
:P

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:27 am

What is everyone's favorite world so far? Mine would be (revealed in the first trailer):
Spoiler:
New Donk City, there is just something quirky about Mario in a realistic setting and it is expansive without being overwhelming
Sophia

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:39 pm

My favorite world is a very late game situation...
Spoiler:
The Mushroom Kingdom. I've wanted to roam around it for so long and I finally got the chance to. The call-backs to Super Mario 64 also made me joyous. Sure it's not some kind of epic world and it's just a SMO Kingdom-sized thing but it was still neat. Neater still was the ability to see it as a surprise if you found the painting sooner than the end game. That's how I found it and it blew my mind.
But if you don't count that or decide to just ignore that one, my next two would be...
Spoiler:
Bowser's Kingdom and then the Luncheon Kingdom. The former is such a cool looking world and I love the Japanese influence. The bird creature you can take over is IMO one of the best captures in the game. It was a great (though linear) gauntlet towards Bowser. For the latter, I just think it looks really neat and there's a ton of fun secrets around. Being able to traverse the lava really kicks things up a notch.
Considering how much fun the game starts, the latter kingdoms really shined for me.

Mop it up

Post by Mop it up » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:55 pm

I think all of the worlds are fun in one way or another, but my tops would be:
Spoiler:
Luncheon Kingdom
Wooded Kingdom
Sand Kingdom

Bottom three:
Metro Kingdom
Cap Kingdom
Lake Kingdom
Though like JKRiki I could use more dinosaur kingdoms as well. Can never go wrong with dinosaurs.

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:00 pm

I need to get back to playing this! Since being sick and platformers don't quite jive all that well, I haven't played Odyssey in a week or so. I miss it! :)

And I want to avoid those spoiler tags until I unlock all the worlds. Just got to the
Spoiler:
crazy artistic vegetable one!

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:43 pm

Just "finished" the game! Not really finished, though, as apparently there are new worlds even now, lol. Can't wait, this game is great. :D

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:08 pm

How many moons did you have upon initial completion? Going to shoot for 100%?

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:12 pm

Oh man, I don't remember. 200 something?

I am definitely planning to try for 100% on this game, but probably just "over time." Xenoblade 2 is out today! Also my plan (if the budget still allows) has always been to buy the Zelda DLC when the final bit comes out, which means starting BotW over from scratch. AND I am getting Stardew Valley on Christmas. GAH TOO MUCH TO PLAY. :)

I fear I will cave at some point and talk to Hint Toad, who currently I curse at when I walk by. Filthy cheater, trying to get me to cheat.

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:17 pm

Hint Toad, while helpful, isn't some door destroying cheat device. It's a hint. You'll still have to figure out what to do there. When it comes to 100%ing the game, I don't see anything wrong with it if you've scoured the landscape a few times over already. Some of these things are obtuse. Plus, for me anyway, I don't have all that time to comb through for the last moon. I have other things to deal with so it's a happy medium.