Super Mario Odyssey Gush Thread (No Spoilers! That means you. Yeah you, you know who are!)

JK Riki

Re: Super Mario Odyssey Gush Thread (No Spoilers! That means you. Yeah you, you know who are!)

Post by JK Riki » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:06 pm

goldenphoenix wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:34 am
Really though it depends on your play style, personally I like unlocking the worlds myself, and finishing the main campaign since I feel it relieves pressure so I can enjoy the exploration more, been like that since Mario 64 lol.
Ah, makes sense. I am the opposite. I unlocked a new world and immediately went back to the previous one for more exploring. :)

I will probably finish this game sometime in 2019. :P

Rocket

Re: Super Mario Odyssey Gush Thread (No Spoilers! That means you. Yeah you, you know who are!)

Post by Rocket » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:33 pm

I just unlocked the Odyssey ship so now I can visit areas. Frame rate is lovely and smooth :)

Mario's roll move is pretty cool!

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:42 am

Rocket wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:33 pm
I just unlocked the Odyssey ship so now I can visit areas. Frame rate is lovely and smooth :)

Mario's roll move is pretty cool!
I didn't even realize I could roll until late into the game lol.
Sophia

Rocket

Post by Rocket » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:48 am

I bet Sonic didn't forget that Mario now has a sweet roll move. I know they're in peaceful times but I'd be pretty nervous if I was Sonic right now :P

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:00 pm

One thing I appreciate about the game is that whenever you get moons, coins or purple coins you keep them even if you end up dieing. It encourages you to explore the game and take chances.
Sophia

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:57 pm

goldenphoenix wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:00 pm
One thing I appreciate about the game is that whenever you get moons, coins or purple coins you keep them even if you end up dieing. It encourages you to explore the game and take chances.
Totally agree. It would be painful if you had to get to a checkpoint or something before they registered!

This game is amazing about exploring and taking chances. I thought I would hate that you couldn't really "lose" but so far it has been perfectly designed so the gold coins being taken FEELS like a punishment, but it doesn't super hurt.

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:18 am

I third that sentiment. It's great they don't stop your progress. Heck, that's clearly a philosophy. The fact that 1-Ups no longer exist and it's just 10 coins lost also showcases this.

goldenphoenix

Post by goldenphoenix » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:12 pm

It is funny though, when you are saving up to buy something those 10 coins can hurt especially if you are on a tough moon or boss lol.
Sophia

Rocket

Post by Rocket » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:54 pm

Coins regenerate so easily as well. Even if you just warp between checkpoints they come back. I like this and it's still fun to collect them. It feels weird how they don't replenish health.

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:04 pm

goldenphoenix wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:12 pm
It is funny though, when you are saving up to buy something those 10 coins can hurt especially if you are on a tough moon or boss lol.
I've found that (luckily enough) Nintendo usually puts at least 10 coins between a checkpoint and a hard area. In the couple of spots where I kept failing each and every time, I was still slowly growing my coin collection because there would be 10 coins along the way. I suspect this is a design perk and not just luck but I haven't fully audited the hard areas of the game. Just from my experience.