Bad Games; Good Nostalgia

chrisbg99

Bad Games; Good Nostalgia

Post by chrisbg99 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:35 pm

I think we all have this but those of us who grew up back in the day before the internet and having to go on our gut or just plain pounding our way through something because that is what we had knows that many of us played, maybe even enjoyed, some rather bad games. So much so that even though we may now recognize them as being outright terrible games we still hold a place in our withered, decayed hearts for them. Unless you were so lucky that every game you played was solid gold greatness (honestly I lucked out pretty good in this regard). So basically name a few games. Say why you like them despite their dubious quality.

Altered Beast - Sega Master System: Even the arcade version and good Genesis port of this cheesy brawler haven't aged all that well. But when I was kid in the late '80s before we got our NES we had a SMS, it was kind of awesome to me. Now looking back on it is choppy as all heck, kind of awkward to control and all the age spots are there. Be that as it may the game held my attention for a very long time and if my recollection is accurate (and given the nature of memory it might not) it was the first game I ever beat, that had a distinct beginning and ending. But for some reason my memory gave the game quite an upgrade graphically. There is a part of me that swears the game looked closer to the Genesis version but it really isn't at all. And I know I didn't have a Genesis as a kid. Wouldn't have forgotten something like that. But compared to some of the games we had, including Alf and Ghostbusters, it was a spectacular game for the time. Though Hang-On and After Burner were decidedly superior arcade ports that we also had.

Revolution X - Arcade: Revolution X is about as cheesy as a mid-90s rail shooter could be. As you are out to stop the evil authoritarian New Order Nation from doing....something which apparently involved kidnapping Aerosmith. I only had really one experience with the game hanging out in a mall in Bismark waiting for my parents to meet me, my siblings and grandmother. And Revolution X for all it's cheese looked cool with the machine guns and authentic Aerosmith music playing out of it. So for a good part of that afternoon me and one of my brothers procured a bunch of quarters and had a grand old seeing how far we could get in the game. Nowadays it is on the bad side of the shooter genre but for that short period it was as much fun as anything.

Mortal Kombat - Game Boy Oh boy is this a bad, bad, bad port. I give a break to what they were porting from to what they were porting to but still the game is nigh unplayable now and was only just playable as a kid when I was willing to put the time into learning how to play with the game's massive input lag and laughable AI. I remember being quite excited for it as a kid (as I was just as much on the MK bandwagon as anyone) and while I put away a good amount of time playing this version at least we had the SNES version of MK and MKII eventually because I am pretty sure I figured out it wasn't a particularly good game then. As it is this is probably one of the games where the nostalgia goggles are the least nostalgic but even though I recognized it as bad even then I still had a good enough time with it. Never again though. No going back to that.
Last edited by chrisbg99 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
You cannot grasp the true form of this post! Sorry.

JK Riki

Re: Bad Games; Good Nostalgia

Post by JK Riki » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:07 pm

Jaws (NES)

I sunk so, so much time into this game. And it wasn't very good. In fact, it was basically a small mini-game that was padded out with a boat you had to sail back and forth across the screen. SO MUCH TIME...

I finally beat it though. Best feeling in all of game-dom, up to that point!

Mop it up

Post by Mop it up » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:42 pm

I find that I don't really like NES games anymore, though I don't think this counts as most of those games weren't actually bad for their time period.

I'm actually having trouble thinking of an actual bad game that I actually liked or have nostalgia. I'm sure there is something, but nothing's coming to mind at the moment...

GameDadGrant

Post by GameDadGrant » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:19 am

Oh man. Yeah, that Gameboy port of Mortal Kombat was ROUGH. I still played a good amount of it back in the day, but yowza it is unplayable now. It’s weird because the Gameboy port of Mortal Kombat II is actually really freakin’ GOOD. It’s amazing how much better the sequel is compared to the original.

Another bad port of an arcade game in the ‘90s was the Gameboy version of Street Fighter II. Slow, clunky gameplay, a short roster of fighters, and input lag for days.

There are plenty of great fighting games on Gameboy but this one ain’t it. But I still loved it. Played the hell out of it. It’s entirely possible I’m just a sucker for Capcom’s flagship fighting series.

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:20 am

Great topic! What could pawsibly go wrong?

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:31 am

I thought of another one, Jurassic Park on the Sega Genesis. I'm pretty sure it was terrible, but I was a JP fiend back in the day (and still a little now, I've seen Jurassic World about a dozen times) so I ignored all its flaws.

But then there was Jurassic Park on SNES and that was just a pile of crap no matter how much I loved the IP.

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:45 pm

Cruis'n USA! I really love this game... but it's arguably not great. And it's actually not as good as Cruis'n World which did do things better.

Still, I adore it for nostalgia and love that theme song.

JK Riki

Post by JK Riki » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:18 pm

@Banjo What I didn't like about that game/series was that it wasn't San Fransisco Rush, lol.

NO FLYING OFF ROOFTOPS NO SALE.

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:12 pm

It had to pave the way for all that rooftop business!