Top 10 Games of 2017

BanjosBackpack

Top 10 Games of 2017

Post by BanjosBackpack » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:22 am

My Top-Ten is comprised of games I beat this past year. Though all did release this year too. Some of my Honorable mentions are from yesteryear though. I didn't include games I'm still working through, though in most cases those wouldn't have made the cut anyway. Do you have a Top 10 List for 2017?

10.) Sonic Mania
Developer: SEGA of America (with Christian Whitehead, Headcannon, and PagodaWest Games
Platform: Nintendo Switch
Release Date: August 15th, 2017
Date Beaten: August 24th, 2017
Gameplay Hours: 5+ Hours

This game was a pretty solid Sonic game in the end. It did it's job well and I had fun. It's this far down the list because I didn't have an urge to replay it after I beat it though. Well made and will be fondly remembered overall.

9.) Golf Story
Developer: Sidebar Games
Release Date: September 28th, 2017
Date Beaten: December 23rd, 2017
Gameplay Hours: 15+ Hours

Golf Story looked neat from the trailer and then upon release. I had a lot of fun with the gameplay, which in some respects there wasn't enough. However, at the same time, it overstayed it's welcome story-wise a little bit. I was happily accomplished though anyway. I would be interested in more golf-gameplay in this kind of fashion but I wouldn't quite want a sequel either.

8.) Stardew Valley
Developer: Eric Barone
Release Date: October 5th, 2017
Date Beaten: November 30th, 2017
Gameplay Hours: 90+ Hours

Ah, the long-awaited Stardew Valley. I patiently waited a long time for this to release on a Nintendo console and the Switch was perfect for it. I played it through the full two years, kicked ass at my overall rating, had one kid and another on the way, made friends with weird creatures, got caught eating out of the trash, etc. Did it all. It scratched an itch that I've wanted since the Harvest Moon series got stale and I stepped away. I feel this is quite complete at over 90 hours of gaming.

7.) Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
Developer: Ubisoft
Release Date: August 29th, 2017
Date Beaten: September 10th, 2017
Gameplay Hours: 50+ Hours

The surprise hit nobody realized was coming. The rumors didn't incite hate in me and I stayed optimistic. I was happy to find that I LOVED this game upon release. For what it's trying to do, it's damn near perfect. I think all it needed as a hidden character or two to spice things up. I hope to get my nephew playing this soon. It'll be good for his brain. Plus the Ubisoft Milan team seem so damn happy, especially Davide Soliani. A great 'underdog' tale for this one.

6.) Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
Developer: Yacht Club Games
Release Date: March 3rd, 2017
Date Beaten: May 1st, 2017
Gameplay Hours: 20+ Hours

I had beaten Shovel of Hope and tested out Plague of Shadows on the Wii U. However once the Zelda gaming wore down, I needed something else early on to play on my new Switch. I played through the Treasure Trove and beat all three games. Spectre Knight's campaign was fun but it was me giving Plague Knight another chance that blew me away. I had so much fun with his weird movements. It required a whole new way of thinking. I loved it. Still love it. Damn this is a stellar package. Plus King Knight is still on it's way!

5.) Splatoon 2 (Single-Player)
Developer: Nintendo EPD
Release Date: July 21st, 2017
Date Beaten: July 30th, 2017
Gameplay Hours: 235 Hours in Total; probably 30-40 in Single Player

Splatoon. My lover. My muse. This sequel is fantastic. I disagree with those who feel it's not a true sequel. There really isn't grounds to justify that but I guess I see where people wish for more. Clam Blitz and new stages have been stellar additions, not to mention Salmon Run itself. However it's in this list as 'beaten' because of the stellar single-player campaign I beat this year. I 100%ed that thing. Meaning... all levels, with all weapons. That's hundreds of level-weapon combos. It was fun enough to do IMO. Splatoon is such a tight package. Splatoon 2 continues the trend.

4.) BYE-BYE BOXBOY
Developer: HAL Laboratory
Platform: Nintendo 3DS
Release Date: February 2nd, 2017
Date Beaten: December 30th, 2017
Gameplay Hours: 16.5 Hours

With my 3DS dead in the water due to the busted-B-button... I was surprised this made it here. It only did so because it was something I picked up for Christmas after I received my New 2DS XL. The BOXBOY series is stupendous. This one is no different, though the main game seemed easier than others. I guess because I can think of solutions better now. However 100%ing it was tough. The post-game is taking no prisoners.

3.) SteamWorld Dig 2
Developer: Image & Form
Release Date: September 21st, 2017
Date Beaten: September 28th, 2017
Gameplay Hours: 20+ Hours

What can I say? I love this developer and the SteamWorld series. The games are always well made and really fun. So a sequel to one of my favorite games OF ALL TIME was a godsend for me. Turns out, it was a grand success. Another game I 100%ed... I had so much fun with this for a mere week but I still put in half a work-week's worth of time into it. I can't wait for the next from I&F.

2.) Super Mario Odyssey
Release Date: October 27th, 2017
Date Beaten: October 29th, 2017
Gameplay Hours: 70+ Hours

Mario. What can I say that hasn't been said? It was a really well made package of a lot of moons to find. Unique levels. Fantastic music. Fun transformations. A great camera system! This was Mario in his Prime! Though I'm sure the future holds more. Nintendo made something special here. It had a few minor hiccups which prevented it from reaching the top spot but all in all I had so much fun for my 70 hours with it. I got to share this experience with my nephew also which was nice. He was playing and beating it along-side me. It was great hearing of his discoveries.

1.) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Release Date: March 3rd, 2017
Date Beaten: March 26th, 2017
Gameplay Hours: 245+ Hours

I'm still playing this technically as I haven't beaten the second DLC pack. This game is a game changer. Nintendo and Zelda are forever changed with one of the greatest transformations of a franchise in gaming history. The sense of discovery was unmatched by Nintendo before. They've set their own bar once again and it sets a lot for the future of gaming. Even though open-world like this has been done, Breath of the Wild pioneered the world and feel that this game exerts. I can NOT wait to go back in to a new Zelda game if it's even half like this one. I spent time investigating and finding all the Korok Seeds even. Wasn't truly blind in the find but I didn't just watch some YouTube video either. Detective work lead to a fun post-game exploration-fest after I beat the main game and now the DLC adds even more. The whole thing is a beautiful masterpiece.

Honorable Mentions:
Splatoon 2 (Multi-Player) - As you can see above I've put hundreds of hours into this. This will surely double and beyond before the generation is done. I just didn't want to count Multi-Player in my ranking system.
Super Mario World - One of my all-time favorites. I 100%ed it when the SNES Classic released. It's a game I can do that from memory over the course of a few hours. A special gem. Just an oldie so I kept it off the list.
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - I really enjoy the Shantae series. This entry was a bit more playing it safe than I wanted so it didn't make the list but I don't regret playing it or 100%ing it. Well.. maybe that latter point a little.
Kid Tripp - I nabbed this over #IndieXmas and while I was frustrated by it's challenge, it was actually fun! I played it over a couple of hours and beat all the stages. I'm not interested in the post-game score-attack stuff but it was a cute game for what it was and how I received it.

JK Riki

Re: Top 10 Games of 2017

Post by JK Riki » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:51 am

Good list! I'm not sure I beat 10 games in 2017 personally, ha ha, but I would have to give the top spot to Zelda for sure. Amazing experience.

BanjosBackpack

Post by BanjosBackpack » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:18 am

I beat 26 games total last year. My second biggest gaming year in the last five. My biggest in the past five was 2014 with a whopping 34 games. Now that does include multiple playthroughs of SteamWorld Dig, but those were legitimate full start to finish playthroughs.

Of the last five years of gaming, last year was roughly 22% of games. Switch dominated.

arpitkakkar1

Post by arpitkakkar1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:39 am

I love mario game thanks for sharing list its amazing.